Posted to uk.d-i-y
Robin Robin is offline

Default Escaping from a fire.

On 09/08/2018 14:04, Robin wrote:

That escape ladder is more like a wire rope caving ladder.Â* I was taught
many moons ago to climb those with at least one leg going in from
behind, but *not* climbing from the side.Â* The aim is to keep your
centre of mass as close as possible to the ladder. Otherwise your arms
do too much of the work.

See eg
https://www.flickr.com/photos/31424959@N00/129017789

Ooops, I was so desperate to find a photo with a foot going in from the
back I failed to look at the hands. Both should be gripping the rungs
from behind to keep the trunk close to the ladder.

Unless the ladder's against a wall/rockface when it can't swing to leave
you hanging.

--
Robin