Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nightjar Nightjar is offline

Default Escaping from a fire.

On 09/08/2018 07:24, harry wrote:
I see someone else got injured jumping from a first floor window in a fire.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-brother.html

Completely unnecessary.
If you are ever in that situation, climb out of the window and hang on to the window cill with arms at full extent and let go.
You are only four feet off the ground in most situations.
Injuries likely to be nil.

You are assuming that the escaping person is thinking clearly. I have
had experience of trying to clear one floor of building where there was
copious smoke, but, as it turned out, no real danger of fire - it was a
boiler feed blow-back that was burning lots of oil, but wouldn't have
spread. Most people acted sensibly, but some went into a blind panic.

In the end, the only way to get one bloke out was to open a window and
drop to the ground. I am over six feet tall, but it needed people at
ground level to hold onto us and help us down for it to be safe.

There, we were able to open the window and climb out. In the case in the
article, they had to break the window to get out, so there would have
broken glass just where they needed to hang.

Colin Bignell