Gary Slusser

Default Why do gas water heaters fail?

"George E. Cawthon" wrote

Gary Slusser wrote:

I'm glad you agree, and there was no trick question. Speaking of

different
terms..... my industry isn't allowed to use the word "pure" unless we

speak
to microbiological content. And soft relates only to hardness content.
Sorry, that's the way it is from residential to commercial to industrial
water treatment. But take another stab at defining what was actually

said;
over-softened.

Ion exchange softening increases the TDS (total dissolved solids) of the
water very little. And it's not corrosion of the anode rod that causes

the
glass lined steel tank to rust through.

Gary
Quality Water Associates
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Gary Slusser's Help Forum www.qualitywaterassociates/phpBB2/

Various industries and disciplines do use terms differently
but their spokesmen should know the difference. No ordinary
person thinks pure water refers only to lack of biologics.
Shoot, "Have some pure water son, sorry it full of DDT and
every other insecticide. I suppose your industry doesn't
concider acidity either, so here is my last gasp. Maybe
over-softened means too basic, but I would think that
rusting would be more associated with too acidic.

Over softened is sort of like over-stopped, except everyone
know what stopped means, and few people really know what
softened means and if they did they would say, "What the
hell!" But to reduce corrosion to zero in drinkable water,
you essentially have to use pure water. Well, the anode is
there to prevent the tank from rusting through, preventing
or lack of preventing is the cause of the rusting.

BTW, where does all that damn salt go?

Are you saying I don't know the terms of my industry? The ordinary person of
today pays little attention to correct terminologies and make up their own
as they go. Who was it that said pure when we were speaking about
oversoftening?

Using your definition of the word pure, or at least its usage today, the
water that my industry can call pure is deionized water at 18 megohms.

To prevent corrosion, we look at the causes and if there are any in the
water, we buffer the acidity, reduce the DO and CO2 content along with the
chlorides and sulfate, H2S and go on. None of them have anything to do with
purifying water BTW. Even in the terminologies applied by the common folks,
they see purifying as filtering and then usually, that means removal of
chlorine, anything floating in the water or otherwise smelly. They mostly
don't mean the other A-Z thingies found in water because many don't know of
them; that's usually due to them not reading and having attention spans
measured in seconds. All due to their life style choices of making every
penny they can so they can qualify for more credit and have more 'things'
and simply not having enough time, or energy.

The vast majority of the 'salt' goes into the drain line and out to drain.
7.85 mg/l per each 10 gpg of compensated hardness exchanged is added to the
water.