Posted to rec.woodworking
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default Outside Table Finish

On Sunday, August 5, 2018 at 6:54:31 AM UTC-7, Leon wrote:
On 8/4/2018 7:16 PM, whit3rd wrote:
On Saturday, August 4, 2018 at 2:29:52 PM UTC-7, MOP CAP wrote:
I put a new top [pink wood or what is now called redwood] on an outside table.
It is now starting to check. I wood like to put some type of finish on

Stain is the obvious choice... You probably don't want paint,
a nonporous layer of paint will just blister when the wood (inevitably)
gets wet, assuming it bonds to the wood at all.

Umm, the out sides of painted houses get wet all the time when it rains.

Even windowsills aren't horizontal, though. The water runs off, by design.
We don't use paint on flat wood roofs.