Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Outside Table Finish

I put a new top [pink wood or what is now called redwood] on an outside table.
It is now starting to check. I wood like to put some type of finish on
it that would not be too oily.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
CP

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/4/2018 4:29 PM, MOP CAP wrote:
I put a new top [pink wood or what is now called redwood] on an outside
table.
It is now starting to check. I wood like to put some type of finish on
it that wouldÂ* not be too oily.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
CP

Paint is likely the only thing that will hold up for a decent amount of
time.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, August 4, 2018 at 2:29:52 PM UTC-7, MOP CAP wrote:
I put a new top [pink wood or what is now called redwood] on an outside table.
It is now starting to check. I wood like to put some type of finish on

Stain is the obvious choice (something with UV inhibitors, and
'redwood' color, would be suitable). You probably don't want paint,
a nonporous layer of paint will just blister when the wood (inevitably)
gets wet, assuming it bonds to the wood at all.

I like to wire-brush exterior wood before staining; it makes the debris move
out of the grain. A vacuum would pull any loose material from the checked
regions.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I put a new top [pink wood or what is now called redwood] on an outside table.
It is now starting to check. I wood like to put some type of finish on

Stain is the obvious choice (something with UV inhibitors, and
'redwood' color, would be suitable). You probably don't want paint,
a nonporous layer of paint will just blister when the wood (inevitably)
gets wet, assuming it bonds to the wood at all.
I like to wire-brush exterior wood before staining; it makes the debris move
out of the grain. A vacuum would pull any loose material from the checked
regions.

I've seen a good paint-job last for many years - on a picnic table
under a patio roof, but otherwise explosed 4 Canadian seasons.
I've also seen stain that lasts only a couple years on a deck fence.
.. so I don't think there is one simple answer.
Personally, I like the weathered look on outdoor wood - as long as
it's solid. Some folks want it to look like their dining room set ..
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/4/2018 7:16 PM, whit3rd wrote:
On Saturday, August 4, 2018 at 2:29:52 PM UTC-7, MOP CAP wrote:
I put a new top [pink wood or what is now called redwood] on an outside table.
It is now starting to check. I wood like to put some type of finish on

Stain is the obvious choice (something with UV inhibitors, and
'redwood' color, would be suitable). You probably don't want paint,
a nonporous layer of paint will just blister when the wood (inevitably)
gets wet, assuming it bonds to the wood at all.

Umm, the out sides of painted houses get wet all the time when it rains.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/4/2018 5:29 PM, MOP CAP wrote:
I put a new top [pink wood or what is now called redwood] on an outside
table.
It is now starting to check. I wood like to put some type of finish on
it that wouldÂ* not be too oily.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
CP

http://www.penofin.com/wood-stains/tmf-hardwood-stain
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, August 5, 2018 at 6:54:31 AM UTC-7, Leon wrote:
On 8/4/2018 7:16 PM, whit3rd wrote:
On Saturday, August 4, 2018 at 2:29:52 PM UTC-7, MOP CAP wrote:
I put a new top [pink wood or what is now called redwood] on an outside table.
It is now starting to check. I wood like to put some type of finish on

Stain is the obvious choice... You probably don't want paint,
a nonporous layer of paint will just blister when the wood (inevitably)
gets wet, assuming it bonds to the wood at all.

Umm, the out sides of painted houses get wet all the time when it rains.

Even windowsills aren't horizontal, though. The water runs off, by design.
We don't use paint on flat wood roofs.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, August 5, 2018 at 7:55:45 PM UTC-4, whit3rd wrote:
On Sunday, August 5, 2018 at 6:54:31 AM UTC-7, Leon wrote:
On 8/4/2018 7:16 PM, whit3rd wrote:
On Saturday, August 4, 2018 at 2:29:52 PM UTC-7, MOP CAP wrote:
I put a new top [pink wood or what is now called redwood] on an outside table.
It is now starting to check. I wood like to put some type of finish on

Stain is the obvious choice... You probably don't want paint,
a nonporous layer of paint will just blister when the wood (inevitably)
gets wet, assuming it bonds to the wood at all.

Umm, the out sides of painted houses get wet all the time when it rains.

Even windowsills aren't horizontal, though. The water runs off, by design.
We don't use paint on flat wood roofs.

Yeah, I was thinking of suggesting that the OP cut 2 legs shorter than the
others before painting.

2 adjacent legs, of course. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, August 4, 2018 at 4:29:52 PM UTC-5, MOP CAP wrote:
I put a new top [pink wood or what is now called redwood] on an outside table.
It is now starting to check. I wood like to put some type of finish on
it that would not be too oily.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
CP

Marine Varnish. It won't last forever, needs renewing every few years. I used on mahogany decking on a sailboat exposed to salt water and sun. It held up.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, August 4, 2018 at 4:29:52 PM UTC-5, MOP CAP wrote:
I put a new top [pink wood or what is now called redwood] on an outside table.
It is now starting to check. I wood like to put some type of finish on
it that would not be too oily.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
CP

I would use and exterior oil. Protects fairly well and is easy to refresh.

Depending on where you live, watch the paint you buy. Here in Central Alabama, most of the leading brands have problems with mold and mildew. There is one brand that holds up better than the rest, and its not the most popular (herd mentality, I guess).