Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Window woodwork/mouldings - where to buy? (or even completewindows)

On 04/08/2018 15:20, Chris Green wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
On 04/08/2018 13:24, Chris Green wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 04/08/18 09:21, Chris Green wrote:
We have wooden windows which we want to keep. The frames are in the
main quite sound but we have a couple of opening windows where the
wood holding the glass needs replacing.

So, where can I buy either the right sort of moudings or, possibly,
complete replacement windows? They have glass retained by glazing
strips if that helps describe them a bit more.

I've searched for 'wood window mouldings' but that hasn't produced much
of any use.

generally you custom make these. Probably by talking a profile on what
you have and grindng a profile cutter for a spindle moulder.

If you are lucky an ovolo cutter exists already for a table router

Surely some standard ones are 'mass produced', we have a whole village
full of houses built at the same time with the same windows in them.
I'm sure we're not the only village with the same ones.

If you search terms like "glazing bar" you should find loads of
suppliers. There are also plenty of suppliers of router cutters for door
and window construction.

It produces loads of non-wood glazing bars and quit a few wooden beads
but no wooden glazing bars that I can see. Searching for 'wooden
glazing bar' does no better.

So maybe I'll have to set up the router.

... or are windows normally built-up from a basic frame made from
simple rectangular wood plus bits added on?

The simplest frame is just a rectangular section with a rebate cut out
of the corner for the glass to sit in. Then a quadrant like profile bead
to fix above the glass to hold it in place.

You can get a bit posher than that but profiling the leading edges of
the frame that stick out in front of the glass to add a bit more
interest. Mainly used for a Georgian style bar when you have a number of
smaller panes within the whole casement / sash E.g:

https://www.machinery4wood.co.uk/bro...n/1253/level/4

Those can give you a bar profile like:

http://www.sashupgrades.co.uk/45-glazing-bar.html

The glass goes in the rebates on the under side. Then quadrant or
something a bit more ornate like an double ovolo:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OAK-FLOOR...-/162521714774

will hold the glass / DG unit in place.

--
Cheers,