Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default extended warranties on electrical items

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
Strange isn't it that we forget that under UK law guarantee used to be 5
to 6 years if you can prove or show the appliance was faulty when
purchased but we joined the EU and the guarantees were effectively cut
to 2 years although it was easier in that you didn't need to prove
anything.

You've had things repaired or replaced under that UK 6 year warranty?

Without taking the company to court?

A few years ago, when a work colleague had a TV fail after 3 years, the
shop and manufacturer refused to do anything. I told him to quote the
sale of goods act. The shop then insisted on an assessment by a 3rd
party, once they had that, they replaced the TV and refunded the
consultion fee.

SteveW