Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Wooden worktop by sink with water staining - any way to revive?

On 03/08/2018 10:33, David wrote:
On Fri, 03 Aug 2018 09:12:14 +0100, RJH wrote:

On 02/08/2018 22:08, Peter Parry wrote:
On 2 Aug 2018 18:11:48 GMT, David wrote:

In the kitchen there is a nice wood worktop which has turned black
around the sink. Yes, it was a rental property. Looks like a wood
block work surface and far to good for a rental. Light colour.

Anyway, once the wood has been soaked long term and turned black is
there much that can be done to revive it?

Yes - Oxalic Acid . Wash several times with a solution of Oxalic Acid
will remove the black and restore the colour.

Any suggested source? I see Wickes do Kilrock Bar Keepers Friend - would
that be up to the job?

(I've a situation similar to the OP's - left a tin on the worktop, and
it's somehow left a black imprint in the oak)

Oxalic Acid is available on Amazon.

Next question is how much I would need!

It isn't expensive, but probably not something to have lying about for
many years.

100 grams be enough?

Probably - if you look at the way he uses it in the videos I posted, a
scoop of it is usually enough.

--
Cheers,

John.