Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - VOIP

On Thu, 2 Aug 2018 22:30:30 -0700 (PDT), harry wrote:

It was bad enough that army helicopters were dropping supplies -

that's
not going to happen if no-one knows that they are stuck there

without
power and quite possibly without heating because of it.

Hopefully one of the things that will come out locally is some form
of "register" (probably have to be voluntary to be on it) of who
lives where and maybe if they have any "special needs". On about day
3 I was out clearing snow and a mountain rescue Land Rover pulled up
to enquire if we needed anything, we didn't.

They had a 1:25000 map and where basically just trying to reach
anything that looked as if it might be occupied. They where not local
so hadn't a clue which properties where occupied or not.

Sensible people in remote locations have provision to be without power,
telephone and road access. Not rocket science.

How long for? 3 days? 5 days? It appears there are some rules that
say people must be reached within 7 days of being isolated. That is
why the RAF Chinook was drafted in. See another post about that...

It wasn't until several days later that the last, local, public road
was re-opened. On day 11 we were manually digging through 50 yds of 6
to 8' drift on a neighbours private track.

--
Cheers
Dave.