Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default OT - VOIP

Graeme wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Graeme wrote

The article is disingenuous at best, showing a VoIP box with a phone on
one side and router on the other, but no mention of how or where the
router is connected.

Its not relevant. Thats not disingenuous, you dont
understand the normal use of the word landline.
It doesnt mean any physical connection.

OK, I accept that landline refers to a copper connection,

Not always. The voice service that comes with a paytv
service over coax cable is also called a landline.

but to the man in the street, the landline is the physical connection,
whether copper, fibre or whatever.

But if they have a broadband service over a physical
connection, and no phone service at all, and use their
mobile for voice calls and texts, they wouldnt say that
they have a landline service. And plenty dont bother
with a landline anymore because they find it more
convenient to use their mobile for all calls and texts
and in many jurisdictions thats much cheaper than
a landline now. In my case its $10/month for unlimited
calls and texts to any landline or mobile in the country
and 1GB of data. It would cost me a minimum of $35
a month for a pots/pstn landline over copper if I could
still get one and that doesnt include any calls at all.

The connection in my previous house was NTL cable, but still referred to
as the landline.

Only if a voice service is provided. Not if its only a data and TV service.

Even Wikipedia refers to NTL/Virgin as providing 'television, internet,
landline phone and mobile phone services'.

Thats just saying they provide all those services.

Note, landline as in not mobile.

Because they do provide a landline service if you want one
because they mostly do provide a copper pair if you want one.

I'm not arguing about the pros and cons of any service, just the
implications of the article, which suggests you can save money by not
having a landline but the truth is, if you don't have a copper landline,
you need something else. Fibre, whatever.

But if you are happy with just an internet service, you dont have
to pay for a landline and can do voip over the internet service.

With my vdsl2 service, I get a voip service for free but it only
includes unlimited calls to landlines in the country, not to
mobiles. And I dont bother to use it except for incoming
calls to my old landline number, because now I prefer to
use my mobile for everything because it works a lot
better than the pansonic cordless phones I have on my
two voip services and its much more convenient to have
all the contacts on the one device and the call history too.

It is the cost of calls using VoIP that save meaningful money, not the
connection itself.

Thats not true either. Even when the voip service has a
fixed monthly fee, thats much cheaper than the landline
fixed monthly fee. And both my voip services have no
fixed monthly fee. I only pay for calls made, and only
when those calls are to a mobile with one of them.