Posted to uk.d-i-y
Graeme[_7_] Graeme[_7_] is offline

Default OT - VOIP

In message , Rod Speed
writes
"Graeme" wrote in message news:eWpXIFK5NvYbFw

The article is disingenuous at best, showing a VoIP box with a phone
on one side and router on the other, but no mention of how or where
the router is connected.

Its not relevant. Thats not disingenuous, you dont
understand the normal use of the word landline.
It doesnt mean any physical connection.

OK, I accept that landline refers to a copper connection, but to the man
in the street, the landline is the physical connection, whether copper,
fibre or whatever. The connection in my previous house was NTL cable,
but still referred to as the landline.

Even Wikipedia refers to NTL/Virgin as providing 'television, internet,
landline phone and mobile phone services'. Note, landline as in not
mobile.

I'm not arguing about the pros and cons of any service, just the
implications of the article, which suggests you can save money by not
having a landline but the truth is, if you don't have a copper landline,
you need something else. Fibre, whatever. It is the cost of calls
using VoIP that save meaningful money, not the connection itself.

--
Graeme