Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Wooden worktop by sink with water staining - any way to revive?

On 02/08/2018 19:11, David wrote:
Getting closer and close to our son being a home owner.

In the kitchen there is a nice wood worktop which has turned black around
the sink. Yes, it was a rental property. Looks like a wood block work
surface and far to good for a rental. Light colour.

Anyway, once the wood has been soaked long term and turned black is there
much that can be done to revive it?

Have a picture.
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Fileodgy_worktop.jpg.

My current thought is that it could be sanded down and then the whole
worktop stained in a much darker colour.

I assume that it could be cut out past the sink and another piece of
matching worktop biscuit jointed in but that could be complicated, I've
never done it, and there are tiles and stuff involved as well.

Painting the worktop in white gloss seems a bit extreme! Time for some
sticky backed plastic?

As a short term measure I assume that some sanding and treating with oil
might stop it getting any worse.

Suggestions welcome.

Give it a scrub with soap and water to get any surface dirt off. Then
strip the adjacent finish, and give it a light sanding. Have a look to
see what staining is left then.

Next treat the stains with some oxalic acid dissolved in warm water.
Apply, leave it to dry and then wash with fresh clean water. Let it dry
and look again. Repeat if necessary. Finally a fine sanding again, and
then refinish.

One of many examples of its use:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ar5w7c9-s8

--