Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default OT - VOIP

"Graeme" wrote in message
In message , John Rumm
writes
On 02/08/2018 11:16, Graeme wrote:

Surely most customers, at least domestic and small business, will require
a landline for Internet connection, so how does using VoIP replace a
landline?

It does not replace the landline as such, but it does get rid of POTS, and
the analogue bit of the local loop connection to the exchange or street
cabinet.

Again, I must be missing something, because surely, to the average
domestic or smaller business customer, a landline is a landline, whatever
type of phone or Internet connection is used, and whatever the material of
the physical connection.

The article Harry linked begins :

'If you're paying for a landline in the UK, your bill may very well
skyrocket soon. There is a solution €“ it's replacing landlines and much
more reliable than cell phones.'

which says replace the landline - with what?

Voip over the data service.

The only real options are a fixed physical fibre or copper connection (a
landline), a mobile service, satellite or piggybacking a neighbour's
wi-fi.

Yes, but only the copper connection is a landline.

You're mixing the terms voice service and landline.

And our vdsl2 service over a copper connection
doesnt have a pots/pstn service over the copper,
the voice service, if you want one is done by voip
over the data service.

The article is disingenuous at best, showing a VoIP box with a phone on
one side and router on the other, but no mention of how or where the
router is connected.

Its not relevant. Thats not disingenuous, you dont
understand the normal use of the word landline.
It doesnt mean any physical connection.

Presumably the article author thinks that only a traditional copper
connection is a landline,

He'd be right about that.

which I would dispute.

And you'd be wrong when you do. The term landline
refers to what you get your voice call service over.
You dont have to have any voice service at all if
you dont want one and prefer to use your mobile
for voice calls.

And to really scramble your brain, when I still had
a adsl2+ service, I did have a landline because it
was not possible to have what we call a naked service,
no landline, just the data service, on my exchange.

I only used the landline for incoming voice calls
and made outgoing calls using the voip service
over the adsl2+ service, because those calls were
cheaper that way, even with local calls.