Peter Taylor

Default Condensation - Is this a good solution? - Advice Sought

Velvet wrote

Downstairs has the same sq
footage as me, drylined like mine (previously it wasn't) and part dg
(I'm fully, apart from front door). They have a huge condensation
problem even on the dg windows.

This is a real problem for people living in ground floor flats. You're out at
work all day and you have to keep the place secure. A fan running at trickle
speed 24/7 does help a lot.

I dry clothes inside, though I do put some through the condensing
washer/drier (which is why there's no vent for it, it condenses
internally then gets pumped out the normal washing machine drain, just
for info)

I looked at Robin's Bosch Classixx on the web. It didn't say anything about
condensing, but maybe that's a given.

The trick is to open the windows you need open when you're creating the
damp. Open the windows during cooking (it really doesn't get THAT cold
if you have them open just a bit, but makes a big difference to the
amount of damp in the air), don't shut the place up totally if there's
lots of damp washing, etc.

Yes - it's just common sense when you think about it.

We're not designed to live in a sealed environment. Besides washing and cooking
etc, we're all giving off moisture all the time just breathing and sweating. It
used to be the case that the Building Regs were part of the Public Health Act,
but I can't see how the recent regs requiring sealed buildings can be good for
people's health.

Peter