Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - VOIP

On Thu, 02 Aug 2018 11:16:58 +0100, Graeme wrote:

In message ,
harry writes
http://www.talktechdaily.com/new-pho...66&h=57&ia=pho
ne34-1&t202kw=ta-ph-d057&c1=mediaforce-belfasttelegraph&c4=CjBhZjJhOGE1M
i1iNWMyLTQ1ZjgtYmM4ZC1lOWMyN2JjOTAwOTctdHVjdDI0Z jdmMDcSFmNvbnN1bWVyZGFpb
HktY2FibGUtc2M

What am I missing that must be blindingly obvious to everyone else?
Surely most customers, at least domestic and small business, will
require a landline for Internet connection, so how does using VoIP
replace a landline? Perhaps the suggestion is we should do *all* our
connecting via mobiles?

1) It is often cheaper. Landline charges (particularly BT) are high, even
with an 'evenings and weekends' contract.
2) Multiple calls can be made at the same time if you have a multi-port
ATA. Useful in a household of more than one.
3) The phone isn't 'engaged' unless all phones are in use.