Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default OT - VOIP

On 02/08/2018 13:05, Graeme wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes
On 02/08/2018 11:16, Graeme wrote:

Surely most customers, at least domestic and small business, will
require a landline for Internet connection, so how does using VoIP
replace a landline?

It does not replace the landline as such, but it does get rid of POTS,
and the analogue bit of the local loop connection to the exchange or
street cabinet.

Again, I must be missing something, because surely, to the average
domestic or smaller business customer, a landline is a landline,
whatever type of phone or Internet connection is used, and whatever the
material of the physical connection.

The article Harry linked begins :

Ah, yup there is your problem - its safest to assume that any link harry
posts will either be as full of crap as he is, or more typically,
unrelated or contradictory to the point he is trying to make. ;-)

'If you're paying for a landline in the UK, your bill may very well
skyrocket soon. There is a solution €“ it's replacing landlines and much more reliable than cell phones.'

which says replace the landline - with what?Â* The only real options are
a fixed physical fibre or copper connection (a landline), a mobile
service, satellite or piggybacking a neighbour's wi-fi.

Its just a very poor quality article being sloppy with terminology. Its
conflating "landline" with telephone service. Its reads like it was a
puff piece written by a VoIP provider.

The article is disingenuous at best, showing a VoIP box with a phone on
one side and router on the other, but no mention of how or where the
router is connected.Â* Presumably the article author thinks that only a
traditional copper connection is a landline, which I would dispute.

Indeed.

You may find that you can buy a "phone" line for broadband only, and not
have a POTS service on top, or a PSTN number allocated to the line, but
it will still be a landline, just not useable as a phone line. Hence if
you want a phone service over it, then VoIP will be the way to do it.

The other thing to keep in mind, is that for local and national UK calls
many of the VoIP services are often no cheaper than many of the bundled
call packages you can have with your POTS service. I maintain a PAYG SIP
account for placing VoIP calls - it gets used rarely when either I need
a third line, or more commonly when I have a line fault and no voice
comms, but at least one of the broadband lines is still limping on.
However cost wise its per min charging makes it more expensive than the
bundled deal of calls on the normal line - even if its notionally
cheaper than the per minute pricing outside of the bundle.

VoIP can be much cheaper for international calls. Companies like Delmont
(and their vast army of white labelled resellers) do lots of very cheap
international deals - although the quality can be a bit suspect at times
IMLE.

--
Cheers,

John.