Posted to uk.d-i-y
Graeme[_7_] Graeme[_7_] is offline

Default OT - VOIP

In message , John
Rumm writes
On 02/08/2018 11:16, Graeme wrote:

Surely most customers, at least domestic and small business, will
require a landline for Internet connection, so how does using VoIP
replace a landline?

It does not replace the landline as such, but it does get rid of POTS,
and the analogue bit of the local loop connection to the exchange or
street cabinet.

Again, I must be missing something, because surely, to the average
domestic or smaller business customer, a landline is a landline,
whatever type of phone or Internet connection is used, and whatever the
material of the physical connection.

The article Harry linked begins :

'If you're paying for a landline in the UK, your bill may very well
skyrocket soon. There is a solution €“ it's replacing landlines and
much more reliable than cell phones.'

which says replace the landline - with what? The only real options are
a fixed physical fibre or copper connection (a landline), a mobile
service, satellite or piggybacking a neighbour's wi-fi.

The article is disingenuous at best, showing a VoIP box with a phone on
one side and router on the other, but no mention of how or where the
router is connected. Presumably the article author thinks that only a
traditional copper connection is a landline, which I would dispute.

--
Graeme