Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default OT - VOIP

On 02/08/2018 11:16, Graeme wrote:
In message ,
harry writes
http://www.talktechdaily.com/new-pho...66&h=57&ia=pho
ne34-1&t202kw=ta-ph-d057&c1=mediaforce-belfasttelegraph&c4=CjBhZjJhOGE1M
i1iNWMyLTQ1ZjgtYmM4ZC1lOWMyN2JjOTAwOTctdHVjdDI0Zjd mMDcSFmNvbnN1bWVyZGFpb
HktY2FibGUtc2M

What am I missing that must be blindingly obvious to everyone else?
Surely most customers, at least domestic and small business, will
require a landline for Internet connection, so how does using VoIP
replace a landline?

It does not replace the landline as such, but it does get rid of POTS,
and the analogue bit of the local loop connection to the exchange or
street cabinet. So the landline becomes data only, with on premises
equipment to interface the customer wiring and equipment to the digital
service.

Perhaps the suggestion is we should do *all* our
connecting via mobiles?

No, while its a option that will suit some, it would not be a good use
of the limited mobile spectrum to unnecessarily shift lots of traffic
currently flowing over wires into it.

However you can see a point where the network becomes fully fibre, and
the connection to the property is fibre as well (i.e. FTTP). Then there
would be no facility for traditional analogue voice.

--
Cheers,

John.