Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Internety thingummies, question.

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 1 August 2018 20:20:52 UTC+1, Steve Walker wrote:
On 01/08/2018 11:17, Terry Casey wrote:
In article , johnny-b-
says...

On Tue, 31 Jul 2018 16:33:30 +0100, Terry Casey wrote:

Strange - it only seems a very short while ago that we were rolling
out
our initial 600bps broadband product in competition with 56kbs
dial-up!

Typo? ITYM 600Kbps broadband service. :-)

Oops! Yes, 600kbps.

I *well* remember the time when NTL used the 'harmonisation' of the
128Kbps service to 150Kbps (quarter the speed of the 600Kbps which had
formerly been 512Kbps) to squeeze a disproportionate (exhorbitant!) 3
quid increase over the 15 quid a month I'd formerly been paying.

We were Bell Cable Media at the time (later Cable & Wieless
Communications) and didn't offer a lower speed than 600kbps

Mind you, during the past 15 years or so, that same basic
150Kbps service has now morphed via several free speed
upgrades into an 85Mbps service (only a paltry 5Mbps upload
speed though)

I've never had the need for blisteringly fast upload speeds
and I doubt that the average user does, either.

As more and more people are using NAS boxes and may want to remotely
access files or are storing things in the Cloud, upload speed is
becoming more important. Especially useful for remote backup.

SteveW

And for uploading to youtube, that takes me quite a time when I need to do
it.
wish I could get a bit more speed for uploading.

VDLS2 or FTTP will do that. I went from 1 to 54Mbps when I went from adsl2+