Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dimmer and LED

On Wednesday, 1 August 2018 16:59:21 UTC+1, Scott wrote:
On Wed, 1 Aug 2018 08:03:36 -0700 (PDT), whisky-dave
wrote:

On Wednesday, 1 August 2018 14:26:09 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 01/08/18 13:37, Scott wrote:
On Wed, 01 Aug 2018 11:30:32 GMT, DerbyBorn
wrote:

I have just had a touch dimmer fail.

I had used it to control a bar with 4 x 50 watt GU10s.

I replaced with LEDs and ov course it wouldn't work as it had a 40watt
minimum load requirement.

I put a Halogen back in and it worked - but after a while the dimmer
failed. Could this be due to it seeing a mixed load?

I have now replaced the dimmer with one that says 4 watt LED min.

Was it a dimmable LED? As far as I can see, some are and some are
not.

And some that say they are just flicker instead

Like fluorescent lights, I've seen them flicker?

I find if you look out the the peripheral area of the eye the flicker
is more conspicuous.

Yes it's something to do with our ancestors which needed to motice movement more than colours.