Posted to uk.d-i-y
Scott[_17_] Scott[_17_] is offline

Default Wiring regs 18th edition changes

On Wed, 1 Aug 2018 14:46:20 +0100, Terry Casey
wrote:

In article ,
says...

On Tue, 31 Jul 2018 14:10:54 +0100, Terry Casey
wrote:

No. Because the earth pin in the French style connector
protrudes from the socket, a connector not designed to accept
the earth pin won't fit the socket, thus rendering the adaptor
useless.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:F...wer-socket.jpg

I had forgotten about that. That's why a lot of 'hybrid' plugs have a
hole in them.

What do you call a 'hybrid' plug? If you mean the modified
Schuko, more correctly known as a CEE 7/7 plug:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_pow..._sockets#/medi
a/File:CEE_7-7.jpg

or https://tinyurl.com/CEE-7-7-plug

you can clearly see the socket for the French earth pin and
the contacts for it.

That's the one. I think I have seen is described as 'hybrid'
elsewhere.

However, I've also seen 13A adaptors which have a hole but it
in not in the correct place to suit the earth pin or even too
small!

With the better quality devices there will be no uncertainty
that (a) it will fit both types of socket and {b} will provide
a proper earth connection if necessary.

I would agree with that also.