Posted to uk.d-i-y
Robin Robin is offline

Default Smart Meters - the Telegraph's take

On 01/08/2018 08:52, wrote:
snip

The first wave of demand management will be for things like immersion heaters, freezers, washing machines, dishwashers. Whether it will produce much saving for the system overall is a fair question. A later wave could cover all sorts of things, changes in background lighting, perhaps going from left on to PIR operation etc etc. The billions of £ of equipment could save us at least tuppence.

ISTM the "first wave of demand management" is likely to be much lower
tech - an evolution of Economy 7/10 which tells people when power will
be cheaper/dearer and leaves them to decide what to use when. Already
being tried out by some smaller suppliers. Eg Agile Octopus tells
people a day ahead the prices by half hour slots. I'm waiting for news
of how it works in practice - and of their customer service - but as
pensioners with gas heating and cooking at present I'd not rule it out
in principle. Means I need a bit more than the present spreadsheet to
compare tariffs though

--
Robin