Posted to uk.d-i-y
Vir Campestris Vir Campestris is offline

Default Fused neutral cutout.

On 23/07/2018 17:48, ARW wrote:
On 22/07/2018 23:09, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 17/07/2018 19:09, ARW wrote:
Or if you want to DIY it then I will have to get around to writing a
WIKI page on the subject. It's not as easy as just sticking a 16A or
32A socket on the outside wall.

Is there anything special I should know to go in the new box in my
(half complete) garage?

The house supply is 100A, and the spur out there currently has a 63A RCD.

I have no immediate plans for an electric car, but it would be silly
not to allow for it.

63A RCD is not very helpful;-).

However the main thing to consider at this point is at least getting a
cable in that is big enough to power your future needs (no such thing a
a cable that is too big).

Mode 3 charging, which is almost certainly going to be the big seller
due to the grants, can supply up to 63A. I suspect that the 32A will be
the big seller due to the available supply.

I'll have to do a Wiki as there is the type of RCD and possibly making
the supply a TT supply.

I'll help you size a suitable cable if it is still possible to get one in.

Given I have 100A to the house taking more than 63A out would be greedy
- we both want an induction hob in the new kitchen for a start. But
the cable is fixed - sparky was happy that it was sized correctly for
the 63A RCD, and it was already running out to the old garage. Replacing
it would have meant removing the weatherboarding on the house.

I'll have to ask him if the cable is big enough for any more than that.

Must also ask about RCBOs...

Thanks
Andy