Posted to uk.d-i-y
Johnny B Good Johnny B Good is offline

Default DIY shaver batter changing?

On Sun, 29 Jul 2018 10:16:27 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Clive Page explained :
I've done it on a Philips, which is held together by regular screws and
hex sockets. But my modification was to unsolder the tagged battery
from the PCB and then use a couple of bits of scrap brass to provide
contact plates so it would take a standard AA rechargeable cell just
pushed in place. I found that tagged cells were *much* more expensive
than regular ones, and I find that I have to change the battery every
few years.

I agree, tagged cells are more expensive, but using a more aggressive
plumbers flux, you can solder wires to ordinary cells. You can also spot
weld wires, with a bit of experience.

That's not always true. I found the tagged version of the 3 cell NiMH
replacement for the original plug in NiCad battery for our Potterton 2000
controller was less than half the price of the plug in version a year or
so back. I just ordered the tagged battery and removed the tags to
convert it to the more expensive battery. At least there was no risk of
heat damage converting from tagged to untagged. :-)

--
Johnny B Good