Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Smart Meters - the Telegraph's take

On 31/07/2018 15:43, dennis@home wrote:
On 31/07/2018 00:34, Steve Walker wrote:
On 31/07/2018 00:20, Rod Speed wrote:
Nick Odell wrote

Apologies if this has already been discussed and I missed it.

It hasnt.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...tricity-every/

Thats just saying that the new deals will be available for you to
sign up
for if you like them, not that you will have to sign up for those
deals if
you have a smart meter. Obviously a smart meter is needed to be able
to bill you like that if you choose to have one of those new deals.

Until they push up the price of non-variable tariffs enough to push
everyone to variable ones.

SteveW

Well if they do then you will want a smart meter.

There are some smart meter tariffs that benefit some of the consumers,
like the free days and electric car charging ones.

If you are unlucky they won't benefit you.

If smart meters were truly to benefit the customers, they'd be using the
system that was tested probably 20 years ago. That was for a small
housing estate rather than a single house, but similar ideas could
apply. Instead of electricity providers adjusting the price that
consumers would pay to manage demand, the estate switched providers
every half-hour to whoever was offering the lowest price. Now that sort
of smart meter, I might be more interested in.

SteveW