Posted to uk.d-i-y
michael adams[_12_] michael adams[_12_] is offline

Default Smart Meters - the Telegraph's take

"tim..." wrote in message news

"Nick Odell" wrote in message
news
Apologies if this has already been discussed and I missed it.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...tricity-every/

the meters might

I can't for one minute seeing the politician allow it.

A tariff which changes without notice cannot possibly change user behaviour, and that
is the only possible reason for having differential charging.

Who says ?

The idea that these things will allow customers to save money by changing their
behaviour is simply marketing bull**** to persuade people to accept the
things, and always has been, from day one.

Why would any company promote devices that will allow their customers
to use less of their product ?

They have to make some gestures in that direction by way of cheaper tariffs etc.
but that's all they ever were. Gestures.

While knowing damn all about the actual technicalities assuming they're buying
electricity at current wholesale prices on the fly, than differential pricing in
response to demand, would enable them to match the price they're currently paying.
Which might mean lower prices for customers or bigger profits for the
providers, maybe with a nice expenses paid fact finding trip to the Caribbean
for the regulator, thrown in.

Which would also be useful in the event of shortages - at least for those who were
willing and able to pay

Presumably some caps would need to be put in place however.

michael adams