Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default Planning permission for house for family

In message , Andrew
writes
On 29/07/2018 21:01, Robin wrote:
I wouldn't mind so much if farmers didn't insist that they need both
direct support (including de facto State insurance against foot and
mouth etc) _and_ freedoms such as this licence to coin it from the
open market from surplus buildings.

Plus freedom from CGT and IHT, plus massive payments made to land
owners, just for being the owner.

Not quite.

CGT is payable but can be deferred or rolled over. IHT is relieved to
some extent. Land let on an FBT is zero rated, land let on an AHA secure
tenancy is 50% relieved and land farmed in hand is zero rated.
However, HMRC valuers have a habit of including *hope value* where
farmland adjoins existing housing. The tax relief is only on the
agricultural element.
The nice thing about farmland is that it can be gifted free of IHT
providing the donor lives for a further 7 years.

The massive payment in my case amounts to £75.00/acre for which I am
required to maintain all public rights of way and keep the land in *good
agricultural and environmental condition*. Not quite armchair farming:-)

--
Tim Lamb