Posted to uk.d-i-y
TimW TimW is offline

Default Planning permission for house for family

On 27/07/18 22:27, Chris Green wrote:
Are there special planning permission rules applying where one wants
to build a house for a fmaily member (child) on one's own land? We
have a small-holding in an area where adding new houses is basically
not allowed but a few people have added houses for family members
and/or workers.

We are thinking about (well, our child is thinking about) building a
house adjacent to ours, space isn't an issue, we have around 9 acres
and some is fairly lightly used at the moment. We are on a private
road, services (water, electricity, drainage) are close.

So, can one get permission to build a house for family where one maybe
couldn't get permission for just 'a house'?

One of the fundamental principles of planning is that the permission
goes with the property, not the owner or applicant so personal needs and
circumstances should be always irrelevant. You need other ways to get an
application through.

TW