Posted to uk.d-i-y
TimW TimW is offline

Default Planning permission for house for family

On 28/07/18 09:31, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sat, 28 Jul 2018 08:38:25 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

Chris Green wrote:

Are there special planning permission rules applying where one wants
to build a house for a fmaily member (child) on one's own land? We
have a small-holding in an area where adding new houses is basically
not allowed but a few people have added houses for family members
and/or workers.

You can get special permission for an agricultural workers' dwelling,
but you have to demonstrate a suitable need.

I get the feeling that councils are very wary, because after a few years
people try to wriggle out of them, and revert it to a "normal" house
with no strings attached, so I wouldn't see it as an easy way to get
permission you wouldn't ordinarily get.

In Cornwall, and probably other rural holiday areas as well, it's not
uncommon for a farmer to apply for PP to convert a disused or even
derelict barn into holiday accommodation, to make a bit of money on
the side and generally contribute to the local economy through
tourism. Holiday accommodation usually means occupancy for no more
than ten months of the year, sometimes with additional constraints on
the period of occupancy by any one tenant.

After a few years, the farmer may then try to have the status of the
property upgraded to full residential, knowing that if he gets it, he
can make a tidy profit by selling it off. But the council are
generally wise to that sort of thing and don't look kindly on it.

Some councils are very indulgent of farmers and landowners and look
extra kindly on them.

There are a number of wheezes for getting a dwelling allowed on
agricultural land. One we see a lot of here is 'Holiday lets'. That's a
commercial development and not a residential proposition, see? But of
course nobody knows or checks or cares who is actually living there.

TW