Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] spuorgelgoog@gowanhill.com is offline

Default extended warranties on electrical items

On Sunday, 29 July 2018 09:00:48 UTC+1, Woody wrote:
Maybe I'm wrong but I thought under EU law any appliance had to have
a minimum two year guarantee.

EU law requires you to be able to enforce your statutory rights against the retailer for a minimum of two years. Irrelevant in Britain, as the limitation period is six years from purchase anyway (five in Scotland, from the discovery of a fault). Some countries in the UK had much shorter periods, or the period could be limited by contract.

It means you can take Pound Shop to court if your £1 solar garden lantern fails 729 days after purchase. It doesn't mean you will win your case, if the court decides that 729 days is a reasonable lifespan for the product..

Owain