Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default extended warranties on electrical items

Yes sadly this sort of thing does cost a lot. I recall seeing a price of 100
quid for two months a while ago, a ploy to discourage the practice I
imagine.

Later in the Video revolution I had a Toshiba Betamax with all sorts of
clever features, but when it went wrong it was always maladjusted when it
returned, so much so that after a year the company who sold it to me
suggested I pay them about 30 quid and they would supply a Sony C9 instead
and that lasted for many years and even then only needed a clutch and a
gear on the loading mechanism.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Pamela" wrote in message
On 09:27 29 Jul 2018, Brian Gaff wrote:

Does anyone remember the very first video machines? the Philips
1500 and 1501? When you bought one of these, you used to get a
years free service by a suited bloke with an attache case full of
bits. Not only that but every few months he would make an
appointment and come and clean the machine often exchanging the
lacing chord and the pressure roller and cleaning the rewind
idlers etc. He often also adjusted the gain of the head amp to
account for the wear on the heads.

I'd pay an extra £20 on a £130 printer for two or three years of
free on-site repairs. I did for my last two printers.

It's a nuisance if your printer packs up and, if you have kept the
packaging, you have the hassle of sending it back and waiting
weeks.