Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default extended warranties on electrical items

In article ,
Clive Page wrote:
Agreed. These extended warranties are in my view always a con. But
enough people get taken in that they account for a significant amount of
profit for the manufacturer and, of course, the insurance companies
involved.

Remember reading details about aftermarket used car warranties. Article
reckoned they paid out about 10% of premiums on claims. Not the sort of
odds I'd gamble on.

For expensive consumer goods, I tend to compare the John Lewis price which
often includes a 5 year warrenty. Don't mind paying a few quid over the
odds for that.

--
*Filthy stinking rich -- well, two out of three ain't bad

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.