Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default extended warranties on electrical items

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
On 29/07/2018 04:17, Bill Wright wrote:
The new freezer came with an envelope containing the instructions and
so forth. There was a large label on the bag: REGISTER NOW!" This
would 'activate the free one year guarantee'. This seems to do no
more than duplicate our statutory rights. In the bag was a glossy
brochure offering 'Peace of mind'. Peace of mind is worth a lot so I
read on. It turned out that the peace of mind was limited to not
worrying about the freezer breaking down. But it was so cheap! The
three year plan was only £77! But hang on a minute! The first year is
definitely covered by the normal warranty (and if the freezer died
during the subsequent months I'd be looking at my consumer rights,
since it is not a budget freezer.) And the £77 is not a one-off
payment; it is (as the tiny print implies but doesn't explicitly
state) an annual payment. So for £231 I would get warranty for years
two and three. And the price could increase: "We reserve the right to
alter the fee..." If payment is by direct debit there's a £10 per
annum reduction, presumably because you would continue to pay during
the second and third years without really being aware of it. The

It is a familiar business model of offering vastly overpriced customer
support contracts on things sold cheaply. You will almost certainly find
that in the month running up to the first anniversary of your purchase
they will try again with an even more "tempting" offer.

I keep being rung up and told my boiler insurance is about to expire and I
need to "renew".

My boiler was installed in 1988 and has never been insured.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England