Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Default extended warranties on electrical items

Martin Brown wrote :
It is a familiar business model of offering vastly overpriced customer
support contracts on things sold cheaply. You will almost certainly find that
in the month running up to the first anniversary of your purchase they will
try again with an even more "tempting" offer.

I renewed my car insurance last Friday, no change in cost from last
year and unlikely to be beaten elsewhere. During the call to renew, the
droid tried to up-sell with offers for extra cover for any tools and
equipment I might have in my garage. There is a hell of a lot of tool
money in there, but chances of anyone breaking in and walking out with
anything useful - nill. It just doesn't happen here, besides they would
need a truck to get away with much and people might notice.