Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Internety thingummies, question.

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
Max Demian brought next idea :
How much extra is that costing him? 'Normal' ADSL should be OK unless he
lives a long way from the exchange.

I am 0.5Km with 16Mb, he is around 1.5Km with 6 to 8Mb. He rarely uses
what he has at the moment, apart from for email. It is costing him and
extra £4 pm.

I actually had the price drop by 10% when going from adsl2+
to vdsl, because I no longer needed to pay for a POTS/PSTN
service. And I could have got it for half price if I had been
happy with only 50% faster than the 8mp adsl2+ service.

I chose to go for the fastest service because the 1mp upload
that I was getting with the adsl2+ service was almost unusable
for uploading videos and useless for cloud backup. The 50mb
upload with vdsl works perfectly for that stuff and is cheaper.