Posted to uk.d-i-y
Michael Chare[_4_] Michael Chare[_4_] is offline

Default Planning permission for house for family

On 27/07/2018 22:27, Chris Green wrote:
Are there special planning permission rules applying where one wants
to build a house for a fmaily member (child) on one's own land? We
have a small-holding in an area where adding new houses is basically
not allowed but a few people have added houses for family members
and/or workers.

We are thinking about (well, our child is thinking about) building a
house adjacent to ours, space isn't an issue, we have around 9 acres
and some is fairly lightly used at the moment. We are on a private
road, services (water, electricity, drainage) are close.

So, can one get permission to build a house for family where one maybe
couldn't get permission for just 'a house'?

I would expect there to be a local plan which details what is allowed.
You can always contact local planning office. Parish councillors will
likely know about local rules. You chances of getting planning
permission are somewhat reduced if you are in an Area of Outstanding
Natural Beauty or Green Belt.

--
Michael Chare