Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Internety thingummies, question.

On 28/07/18 12:05, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

He contacted PN this am and PN has checked out 1 and agree with him.
They are sending a new router and have upsold him to fibre. They
suggest that they don't need to run anything into his house, he just
needs to switch to the new router.

Virgin recently ran fibre round the village and left little plastic
access points in the pavement, adjacent to every home. Where people
have taken up the Virgin service, they have had to run from the access
point, into the house with cable. How come Plusnet/BT don't need to do
this?

Might be fibre to the cabinet (FTTC). That's what we have, gives 35Mbps
or so. Fibre from the exchange to the box I can see down the road, and
the old copper connection from the box to the house.

When we had it done, a BT Openreach girlie had to come over and install
a new modem. But perhaps these days the modem is built into the router.

It is

Mark Twain