Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Arlen Holder Arlen Holder is offline

Default Clutch bolts and locktite

On 27 Jul 2018 19:16:22 GMT, Clare Snyder wrote:

If it's a 1:1 ratio, then it would seem only the teenies tinyies twist of
the driveshaft is what's needed.

Is that assumption correct?

yes

Thanks again for all your help.
I am happy to have finally, after many decades of being afraid of doing a
transmission, gotten my "boy scout badge" for doing one.

It's probably my first and last transmission ever, but I have already
forgotten about the "thousand situps" I did, in effect, by getting up and
down to get tools and parts over the past five days.

I'm told sometimes even transmission shops take as long (elapsed time) as I
did to replace a clutch, although I would think, in actual shop hours, the
job would be less than six or seven hours (I'm guessing though).

It took me longer because I documented every single step down to the detail
of the thread pitch, and I took many pictures, and I cleaned up the parts,
and I had to learn each time how to do the steps I had never done (like
aligning the transmission splines).

Most of the time the answers came too late, as I had figured them out by
then, but it's very nice to know that the solution I came up with (except
on torque) was the right one in the end.

I don't know what I'll do with that transmission jack. It will probably
take up space in my garage forever though.