Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default Clutch bolts and locktite

On 07/27/2018 07:23 PM, Arlen Holder wrote:
Cast iron. OMG. This one is aluminum, thank God. And 2WD. And I had taken
all the fluid out. So it was a light as it was going to get, and still, I
wouldn't do that job without a transmission jack.

The 3 and 4 speed transmissions with aluminum housings don't weigh that
much. Particularly when you're twenty.

The Chrysler otoh was a piece of work. It was very early in the
development of automatics so it had both a clutch and a fluid coupling.

https://www.allpar.com/mopar/m6.html

The moment of truth was when I took the whole weight and realized I
might be going for a personal best bench press.

The rest of the car followed suit. It was a straight 8, cast iron block
of course. No power steering. It was pleasant on the highway but my wife
used words I didn't think she knew trying to parallel park the beast.

They don't make cars like that anymore. Thank the Gods. At about 4500
pounds 0 to 60 took a while. My '62 Continental weighed in over 5000
pounds but it had a modern 430 ci V-8 and was a supercar compared to a
flat head straight 8 that was designed in the early '30s.