Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Hank Rogers Hank Rogers is offline

Default Clutch bolts and locktite

Arlen Holder wrote:
On 22 Jul 2018 08:10:10 GMT, Arlen Holder wrote:

Which is best for dropping the transmission?

SOLVED!

It's done. I am gonna take it for a smoke test.

The new tools I'm glad I obtained were the transmission jack (thank God),
and the alignment tool that came with the clutch kit, and the assortment of
extension bars, and the two M12x1.25 3-inch threaded dowels.

In the end, I removed more than is necessary, but I'm glad I did remove the
front wheels (particularly the driver side), the front sway bar, the entire
harness (every bolt and every sensor), and the cross member.

The bitch was the starter motor, both getting out and even worse getting
back in, which is the only job that really required two people. I did
everything else alone. The second hardest task was lining up the
transmission to go in because you're staring at a hunk of aluminum not
knowing why it won't move forward.

The top two 17mm bell housing bolts were not easy, but not all that
difficult with 30 inches of extensions and swivels.

Pouring the new Redline MT-90 into the conning tower turns out to be the
*easiest* way to refill a transmission, bar none.

Having four 15-inch jack stands was instrumental, as I needed at least 23
inches of clearance from the frame to get the transmission in and out.

The actual transmission work was easy, including the diaphragm, the pilot
bearing, the throwout bearing, and the fork, but I would have liked thicker
grease on the fork (but I only had Mobil 1 bearing grease).

I wrote up a detailed DIY so that others could benefit from all the work,
and I took hundreds of pictures. I don't know if I'll ever associate the
pictures with each task, but I'll try to help others.

Thanks for all your advice and help. If there is a bedding procedure, now
is the time to let me know! Pictures later.

I very much appreciate you help, because it's my first clutch job ever and
I have nobody around me who knows anything about cars - so your advice was
instrumental!

Break it in just like you would do with new brake shoes or pads. Easy
for a while before you lean hard on it.