Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Paul in Houston TX[_2_] Paul in Houston TX[_2_] is offline

Default Clutch bolts and locktite

Arlen Holder wrote:
Hi Clare,
You probably won't respond in time to help advise, me, but it's just not
going in.

I remember folks discussing putting the transmission in high gear (fifth in
this case), but I can't see why - but maybe it's to twist the transmission
shaft so that the male splined shaft at the front can be rotated a bit to
fit into the engine female splines?

I've been in neutral up until now, but I put the transmission in fifth but
what do you turn to rotate the shaft at the front?

The only thing there is are the splines on the back, but how do you turn
them? You can't get your fingers in there and you need a female spline
which you won't have.

I'm stuck. Do people normally have to rotate the transmission shaft?
How do you rotate it?

Did you try both the clutch disk and the pilot brearing on the trans
before assembly?
If they fit ok then keep jigging the trans or back it out and turn the
shaft a couple of degrees by hand and try again.
Where is the drive shaft? Can you plug it into the back of the trans?
Tie the other end up on something to get it ~level.