Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default How Would You Roof This Treehouse? (Rafter Layout)

On 7/25/18 10:03 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
My buddy is trying to determine the best way to roof the treehouse he is building. He is ready to start cutting the rafters, but he is not sure how
to deal with the trunks. You'll notice the issue immediately.

We have some ideas, but I don't want to influence anyone, so I'll keep them
to myself for now.

This question is mainly about rafter layout, not about sealing the roof
from rain, although suggestions/experience related to that are also welcome.

Ground Level View

https://i.imgur.com/AS3HhDw.jpg

Crotch Level View (leave it alone!)
The board is there just to show the height of the crotch

https://i.imgur.com/xuP7NfY.jpg

Bird's Eye View (simulated)

https://i.imgur.com/VI41CBE.jpg

The smaller branches are not an issue, they will be cut. It's the 2 main
trunks that need to be dealt with. Based on the location of the trunks,
neither 16" OC or 24" OC will clear them.

Have fun!

First thing that jumps out to me is a four sided hip roof and pyramid
hip roof.
All the rafters would terminate near the two trunks and you could get
creative with how it all joins together at the peak.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--