Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Clutch bolts and locktite

On Thu, 26 Jul 2018 01:38:21 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder
wrote:

On 25 Jul 2018 18:17:05 GMT, Clare Snyder wrote:

There is only one way it will go together and go in. Sit down and
look at it for a while.

Thanks Clare,
You were right yet again, where the fork went back on the only way it can,
so I'm good (I'll post pictures later as I'm trying to use the daylight).

There are two spring clips, one for attaching the fork to the divot ball,
and the other for attaching the throwout bearing to the fork. Both slipped
in perfectly.

I torqued down the flywheel where the torque figures seemed kind of low to
me, so I upped them a bit.

Toyota says 20 foot pounds plus 1/4 turn for the 3RZFE engine, which seems
right, but 65 foot pounds for the 6-cylinder 5RZ, where 65 seems too low.
Most people seem to equate the two methods, but the first method definitely
gets an extra 10 foot pounds or so, IMHO. Anyway, I torqued to 75 because
65 didn't seem right. A drop of loctite blue (I won't use the red after I
read up on it).

Since I had never used loctite before, I didn't really it's as runny as
water. I had expected it to be more pasty.

It seems these are the torque figures I'll be using:
. Starter bolts 30ft#
. Bellhousing bolts 54ft#
. Pressure plate bolts 14ft#
. Flywheel (either 19 ft lbs+1/4 turn for 3RZ or 65ftlbs for the 2RZ & 5VZ)
(65 foot pounds feels kind of loose to me)

At this point, the only major worry is lining up the transmission for that
last inch, and then backing out the two bolts I made as dowel pins and then
getting the 30 inches of extension to torque the thing down.

You are NOT a mechanical engineer..FOLLOW THE TORQUE SPECSs!!!!!!!
You do NOT want a flywheel bolt fracturing after you have it all back
together and running!!!!!!!!!!!
The torque spec is correct, and was arrived at for a good reason
The difference is the 3RZ uses torque to yield, or "stretch" bolts
(which SHOULD be replaced every time they are removed)
You do NOT want to over-stretch a bolt that is not designed for
"torque to yield" - or strip the threads out of the crankshaft
either!!!!!!!!