Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Arlen Holder Arlen Holder is offline

Default Clutch bolts and locktite

On 25 Jul 2018 13:19:54 GMT, Hank Rogers wrote:

That can work great. But the biggest problem is finding a drift or bar
stock that EXACTLY fits the pilot bearing ... especially if the latter
is badly worn and possibly distorted. It is definitely worth a try
though, if you can't find a tool that fits.

Thanks to the suggestions from Terry & Clare and others, the pilot bearing
is out.
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=2381579pilot04.jpg

I first tried the grease gun with an M12x1.25 bolt but my gun is old (it's
from the 1940's AFAIK) and it wasn't working well and the grease was too
thin (but I left it in the hot sun to take pictures and that didn't help).
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=9892867pilot01.jpg

I used the wife's home made pizza, chewed up, and placed in the pilot hole.
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=1163525alignmentpin02.jpg

An M12x1.25 bolt that I bought to make dowel pins out of worked fine with
parafilm wrapped on the threads to snug it up a bit.
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=4879341pilot03.jpg

It only took about 10 minutes but it took am amazing number of refills.

Thanks everyone for that idea. Since the clutch fork fell out while I was
tipping the transmission on its end to look at the rear seal, everything is
out now (I just have to figure out how it all goes back together!).