Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default Nice Shop Apron

On 7/20/2018 2:19 PM, OFWW wrote:
On Fri, 20 Jul 2018 10:31:22 -0400, Jack wrote:

About 43 years ago my new bride made me a nice shop apron, that wore out
a few years back. Looked for a replacement and ended up with a Rockler
Apron, which is pretty nice, although dust sticks to it, it's dark blue,
which show the dust, and the pockets quickly fill with saw dust. Still,
nice enough. Today I ran across an Atlas apron, and damn this looks
exactly right for my cabinet shop. It looks like it would last forever,
so the hefty price (compared to the Rockler and other cheap aprons)
would seem cost efficient. Those looking for a nice apron might check
this one out:

https://www.atlas46.com/products.htm...egory=24952015

or

https://tinyurl.com/y8on7xyk

I want one of these but my shop days are close to over, so fighting (yet
again) with myself trying not to buy something I no longer need, just
want.

Rockler has a nice "turning apron" no pockets to fill with dust, super
inexpensive denim blue with removable collar protector from dust.

I have a cheap apron I got at HF for that. Most of the time I just wear
the "good one" and the pockets fill. I do try to use that one when
finishing, but mostly, it just hangs there. For turning, you need
something to keep the shavings out of your shirt, particularly down the
neck. I don't turn enough anymore to worry about that.

Usually my tools are close at hand so pockets are not an issue for me.

My shop is about 625 sq feet so not all that big, but, it's filled with
tools and stuff so walking around trying to find where I left my tape,
goggles, marking tools, square is a PIA. REALLY a PIA as I grow older
and spend more time looking for stuff I JUST LAID DOWN than actual work.

That's why aprons with pockets have been in use probably thousands of
years. This one looks like a good one people might like.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com