Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Nice Shop Apron

About 43 years ago my new bride made me a nice shop apron, that wore out
a few years back. Looked for a replacement and ended up with a Rockler
Apron, which is pretty nice, although dust sticks to it, it's dark blue,
which show the dust, and the pockets quickly fill with saw dust. Still,
nice enough. Today I ran across an Atlas apron, and damn this looks
exactly right for my cabinet shop. It looks like it would last forever,
so the hefty price (compared to the Rockler and other cheap aprons)
would seem cost efficient. Those looking for a nice apron might check
this one out:

https://www.atlas46.com/products.htm...egory=24952015

or

https://tinyurl.com/y8on7xyk

I want one of these but my shop days are close to over, so fighting (yet
again) with myself trying not to buy something I no longer need, just
want.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/20/2018 9:31 AM, Jack wrote:

About 43 years ago my new bride made me a nice shop apron, that wore out
a few years back.Â* Looked for a replacement and ended up with a Rockler
Apron, which is pretty nice, although dust sticks to it, it's dark blue,
which show the dust, and the pockets quickly fill with saw dust.Â* Still,
nice enough.Â* Today I ran across an Atlas apron, and damn this looks
exactly right for my cabinet shop.Â* It looks like it would last forever,
so the hefty price (compared to the Rockler and other cheap aprons)
would seem cost efficient.Â* Those looking for a nice apron might check
this one out:

https://www.atlas46.com/products.htm...egory=24952015

or

https://tinyurl.com/y8on7xyk

I want one of these but my shop days are close to over, so fighting (yet
again) with myself trying not to buy something I no longer need, just want.

Looks like a top notch apron. Personally I might carry a pencil in my
apron, I only wear one to keep the dust from the TS off of me. And in
Houston, the more weight the more it presses against you. That spells
more hot in the summer. Winter time and I wear the apron just to stay
warm. ;~)

The one you are pointing to is probably great when working at a job
site, something I rarely do these days.

This is what I have been wearing for about 10 years, it survived a kick
back 7 years ago and has only recently began to fray at the impact spot.

Light weight and easy to put on and take off.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...=1,43413,45989

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/20/2018 8:31 AM, Jack wrote:

I want one of these but my shop days are close to oved

Looks great --if one wanted to carry one's entire shop around on their
chest!

Again, you want one why?

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 20 Jul 2018 09:49:28 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 7/20/2018 9:31 AM, Jack wrote:

[...]

I just borrow my wife's ... :-)

http://tinyurl.com/y9rzpy7s

... somebody HAD to do it ..
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

notbob wrote in news:freganF93n3U1
@mid.individual.net:

On 7/20/2018 8:31 AM, Jack wrote:

I want one of these but my shop days are close to oved

Looks great --if one wanted to carry one's entire shop around on their
chest!

Again, you want one why?

nb

On some projects, it's convenient to carry the entire shop with you. I
do it for home improvement type projects, with separate belts for
electrical and other repairs.

On shop projects, though, it's usually one tool at a time.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 20 Jul 2018 10:31:22 -0400, Jack wrote:

[...]

Rockler has a nice "turning apron" no pockets to fill with dust, super
inexpensive denim blue with removable collar protector from dust.

Usually my tools are close at hand so pockets are not an issue for me.
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Can't help your dilemma but if you decide you do want a new apron, I
bought one of these recently. It's _really_ nice. The straps are
adjustable enough to miss my pacemaker/scar (still quite sensitive),
too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MAXWBZ2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 7/20/2018 9:31 AM, Jack wrote:

[...]

Bet you take it right off her shoulders.

.. somebody HAD to do it ..

Better you than the neighbor, I suppose.

Posted to rec.woodworking

:

On 7/20/2018 8:31 AM, Jack wrote:

I want one of these but my shop days are close to oved

Looks great --if one wanted to carry one's entire shop around on their
chest!

Again, you want one why?

nb

On some projects, it's convenient to carry the entire shop with you. I
do it for home improvement type projects, with separate belts for
electrical and other repairs.

On shop projects, though, it's usually one tool at a time.

I'm always losing pencils and tape measures, even though I have dozens
of them around the shop. It's good to use the same measure for a
whole job, too. An apron makes it easier to keep track of such
things.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/20/18 9:31 AM, Jack wrote:

[...]

Those Atlas ones are the $h!t!
I've been eyeing them for a while.
I'm going to get one of their vests with the interchangeable
pockets/clips.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/20/2018 12:18 PM, notbob wrote:
On 7/20/2018 8:31 AM, Jack wrote:

I want one of these but my shop days are close to oved

Looks great --if one wanted to carry one's entire shop around on their
chest!

Again, you want one why?

I carry pens, pencils, paper pad, calculator in the top pockets. Bottom
4 pockets hold my Tape, Long Ranger, Small square, safety goggles. As
long as I remember to put them back in there pockets I don't waste half
a day looking for where I last set them down. These are tools I use
constantly in my shop. As a bonus, it keeps the saw dust and finish off
my clothes.

My question would be why not. My answer is I don't really do much any
more, and don't plan to either. My last build was a damned whirllygig.
Now people want me to build them one, the answer is NO? Perhaps I should
get one of them to buy me a shop apron I don't need and I'll build them
a whirllygig they don't need...

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/20/2018 2:19 PM, OFWW wrote:
[...]

I have a cheap apron I got at HF for that. Most of the time I just wear
the "good one" and the pockets fill. I do try to use that one when
finishing, but mostly, it just hangs there. For turning, you need
something to keep the shavings out of your shirt, particularly down the
neck. I don't turn enough anymore to worry about that.

Usually my tools are close at hand so pockets are not an issue for me.

My shop is about 625 sq feet so not all that big, but, it's filled with
tools and stuff so walking around trying to find where I left my tape,
goggles, marking tools, square is a PIA. REALLY a PIA as I grow older
and spend more time looking for stuff I JUST LAID DOWN than actual work.

That's why aprons with pockets have been in use probably thousands of
years. This one looks like a good one people might like.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/20/2018 11:33 PM, wrote:
[...]

Yes, that looks similar to the Rockler apron I use now, with more
pockets. The padded straps over the shoulder is mandatory with an apron
that carries tools. The skinny over the neck ones suck.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/20/2018 8:31 AM, Jack wrote:

I want one of these but my shop days are close to over

Looks great --if one wanted to carry one's entire shop around on their
chest!

Again, you want one why?

On some projects, it's convenient to carry the entire shop with you. I
do it for home improvement type projects, with separate belts for
electrical and other repairs.

Yes, I have leather tool belts for building projects that I don't do
anymore. I never wore an apron on these sorts of jobs just a tool belt,
but always wear an apron in my cabinet shop. Not for hammers,
screwdrivers, pliers, nails and stuff, but for pencils, paper,
calculator, goggles, tape, Long Ranger and a little square. These are
used constantly in my shop, and if I don't put them back in my apron, I
spend WAY to much time looking for them.

On shop projects, though, it's usually one tool at a time.

Thing is, the above list of accessories are used with most tools. I
could have a pair of goggles at my table saw, lathe, grinder and wire
wheel, or I could just have a pair in my apron. I could spread 100
pencils all over the shop (I've done this and 100 isn't enough), or
carry a couple in my apron. Same with a tape, and a square, and
walking around looking for the Long Ranger to turn on the dust collector
completely defeats it's purpose. Plus, and apron keeps the chips out of
your pants and shirt, so might as well have it carry constantly used items.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 25 Jul 2018 14:49:31 -0400, Jack wrote:

On 7/20/2018 11:33 PM, wrote:
[...]

Sure. I really like the pads on the Atlas model you posted, too, and
the closed pockets wouldn't fill with sawdust as easily. However, I
think the shoulder pads are _too_ big in the front. I think it would
sit right on my pacemaker. I think I'll pass but thanks for posting
the link!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/20/2018 11:33 PM, wrote:

https://www.atlas46.com/products.htm...egory=24952015

or

https://tinyurl.com/y8on7xyk

I want one of these but my shop days are close to over, so fighting (yet
again) with myself trying not to buy something I no longer need, just
want.

Can't help your dilemma but if you decide you do want a new apron, I
bought one of these recently. It's _really_ nice. The straps are
adjustable enough to miss my pacemaker/scar (still quite sensitive),
too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MAXWBZ2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

OK, been thinking about this and it really looks nice. Says it's "waxed
canvas". Two complaints I have with my Rockler apron is it attracts dust
like crazy, and being dark blue, that's annoying, and it's not
particularly easy to put on. I get the crossed straps tangled up
sometimes, particularly if I don't hang it up right. The straps are
secure on your shoulders though, once you get it on. For $37 yours looks
like a winner, and might be my next "unneeded" purchase:-)

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/31/2018 8:57 AM, Jack wrote:
On 7/20/2018 11:33 PM, wrote:

[...]

Just a thought here, waxed likely means water resistant and stiffer.
I do not know where you live but if you work in the heat the waxed might
feel hotter than a fabric that will breath.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 1 Aug 2018 10:59:09 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 7/31/2018 8:57 AM, Jack wrote:
On 7/20/2018 11:33 PM, wrote:

[...]

Yes, it is stiffer, and as the picture on the web site shows, it does
resist water. I don't know how much hotter it is, though. It's an
apron, not a vest or jacket sort of thing. I have a ballistic nylon
vest and it is really too hot, even in mild weather. Perhaps in 90F
weather this would be hot, too. But I don't like working with sweat
running off my nose onto the wood, in any case.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/1/2018 11:59 AM, Leon wrote:
On 7/31/2018 8:57 AM, Jack wrote:
On 7/20/2018 11:33 PM, wrote:

[...]

Don't care about water resistance, but dust resistant sounds good.

I do not know where you live but if you work in the heat the waxed might
feel hotter than a fabric that will breath.

I live in Pittsburgh and the temperature ranges from 100+ to -20. My
shop is heated and sort of air conditioned. If I open the door to the
upstairs, it gets the cool air from the house, but too stuffy really. I
don't generally work when it's is super hot and humid, but when I do,
it's hot with/without the cloth apron, so you are probably right.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/1/2018 7:59 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 1 Aug 2018 10:59:09 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 7/31/2018 8:57 AM, Jack wrote:
On 7/20/2018 11:33 PM,
wrote:

https://www.atlas46.com/products.htm...egory=24952015

or

https://tinyurl.com/y8on7xyk

I want one of these but my shop days are close to over, so fighting (yet
again) with myself trying not to buy something I no longer need, just
want.

Can't help your dilemma but if you decide you do want a new apron, I
bought one of these recently.Â* It's _really_ nice.Â* The straps are
adjustable enough to miss my pacemaker/scar (still quite sensitive),
too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MAXWBZ2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

OK, been thinking about this and it really looks nice.Â* Says it's "waxed
[...]

I have a LV canvas apron and it is hot in the summer, warmer in the
winter. 99 degrees plus 95% humidity is probably most of the problem.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 3 Aug 2018 07:52:26 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 8/1/2018 7:59 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 1 Aug 2018 10:59:09 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 7/31/2018 8:57 AM, Jack wrote:
On 7/20/2018 11:33 PM,
wrote:

[...]

At 99 degrees and 95% humidity, the problem is the loose nut in the
shop.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
On Wed, 1 Aug 2018 10:59:09 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 7/31/2018 8:57 AM, Jack wrote:
On 7/20/2018 11:33 PM,
wrote:

[...]

NOT this year. LOL I'm taking the summer off.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

On 8/3/2018 10:11 PM, wrote:

At 99 degrees and 95% humidity, the problem is the loose nut in the
shop.

NOT this year. LOL I'm taking the summer off.

Is summer right or left hand threaded?

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/3/2018 10:11 PM, wrote:

At 99 degrees and 95% humidity, the problem is the loose nut in the
shop.

NOT this year. LOL I'm taking the summer off.

Is summer right or left hand threaded?

Don't know but it always ends up being dropped.