I-zheet M'drurz

Default Ceiling Light Problem - No Switch

On 06 Jan 2004, Phil Anderson wrote:

That said, how do I distinguish the switched from the source
black wire?

Use a simple neon "voltage tester" or a $10 Radio Shacq
multimeter, set to high AC Volts, one probe to ground,
The other probe used to check the 2 black wires attached to
the switch. With switch in OFF position, one black wire vill
have 120 VAC present, that's the source. The other will have
0 VAC present, that's the switched side. Actually it will
probably show a few hundred mV if you use a multimeter, don't
let that throw you.

If you picture all of the outles leading back to one black
wire (it's likely they do) if that black wire was connected
to the switched instead of the source, that would explain
the problem.

Sorry if it seemed like I was knocking the EE, just trying to
point out what a simple fix this could turn out to be.

Tom Pendergast e-mail is for sissies, say it on line