Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Arlen Holder Arlen Holder is offline

Default Clutch bolts and locktite

On 24 Jul 2018 19:08:11 GMT, Clare Snyder wrote:

No experience with aftermarket flywheels or O-Reillys. Sachs or LUK
should bothbe good. Both are OEM manufacturers for many european
makers.

The flywheel looks bad enough that for the difference between $60 to
machine and $95 for a new LUK there shouldn't be any question.

Thanks Clare,

You have, by far, the most experience here and I have, by far, the least,
hence I appreciate the advice.

I was worried about getting the flywheel off, but it came out easily once I
put a 1/2-inch-socket breaker bar to the ten 14-mm 12-point bolts:
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=1179779flywheel07.jpg

I had to wait all day for the new flywheel to arrive, which it did late in
the day. So I'm sorry for the lousy before-and-after picture below but it
was taken at night when I got home.
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=2793357flywheel05.jpg

Looking at the flywheel, I can't visually see or feel anything that is any
lesser quality, where the box for the new flywheel has OE all over it, and
inside stickers saying it meets OEM specs.

I was surprised the new flywheel is almost the same thickness as the
original, the difference being almost imperceptible ... which I can measure
tomorrow, but you can barely feel it.

I had expected the new flywheel to be a lot thicker than the old one since
I know the original has about 180K miles on it and it was supposedly turned
once at somewhere around 80K miles sometime around 2005.

Going to the dealer for the rear oil seal was an experience in futility.