Phil Anderson

Default Ceiling Light Problem - No Switch

"I-zheet M'drurz" wrote in message
On 05 Jan 2004, Goedjn wrote:

[snip]
*MY* guess is that someone replacing the
ceiling fixture swapped wires around in it, and if you can
figure out which wires in the ceiling box go (respectively)
to the switch, outlet, and power supply, you can fix it with
a wire-nut.

I can't see it from here ($1 a.hvac) of course, but my guess
is that whoever did the hacked "add on" wired the outlets to
the switched black wire rather than the source black wire,
and it can be fixed in moments by somebody who

-knows- -what- -to- -look- -for- (*)

Oh, and the "person with an EE degree" should not be
allowed to touch any of your home wiring, ever again.

Exactly, #2. See (*) above. This person with the EE might
be the smartest EE in the world, that doesn't mean he knows
how to spot a mis-wired 120VAC circuit. It's not what they
look at 50 weeks a year.

Guys, I really wasn't trying to oversell the fact he has an EE
degree. He has several other degrees even less useful to the
situation at hand. It was just an interesting aside.

One other thing... I don't think this case qualifies as a hacked
add-on. The entire area was rewired, right down to installation
of a circuit breaker box at the same time, about 10-15 years ago.
Hacked by design, not hacked add-on.

That said, how do I distinguish the switched from the source black
wire?