Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] bruce2bowser@gmail.com is offline

Default Why do these GFCI receptacles trip?

On Monday, July 23, 2018 at 3:09:50 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Monday, July 23, 2018 at 2:22:39 PM UTC-4, wrote:
In my 10 year old home I am having trouble with a couple GFCI
receptacles. But I think the problem is probably with every one in the
house, as they are all the same age and brand.

GFCI devices have a service life of about ten (10) years in a dry location, and anywhere from 2-5 years in a damp location. In many cases, their effectiveness as a ground-fault devices is long-gone, whereas they will still function (somewhat) as a normal breaker. There are exceptions - see monthly test below.

Yes, DO test them every month as suggested.
YES, DO replace them IMMEDIATELY the moment they display any sort of wonkiness.

Ha ha, 'wonkiness'.